Eight Questions(and three scriptures) for Jehovah’s Witnesses
On the April 30th “Front Page” we continued our series on cults with Pastors Mike Thompson and Brian Cole of Faith Free Church(faithfreestanley.org) in Stanley, as we focused on Jehovah’s Witnesses. For a fuller discussion of these questions/verses adapted from Rose Publishing, check out our podcast of the April 30th FP.
1.Would you want a person translating a bible from Greek to English to be qualified in biblical languages? If so, how do you come to grips with the truth that the New World Translation was written by a team that was not qualified to translate the Greek text? Only one person on the translation team had ANY Greek training. And he had nothing more than the introduction class in college?
Food for thought: Could you translate a Spanish bible if you had only an introduction to Spanish class?
Question: Did you realize that in order to translate a bible from Greek to English it takes about 3 to 5 years of Greek training at minimum?
Question: Did you realize the watchtower translation team which had insufficient Greek training added words to your bible that do not exist in ANY Greek text?
Question: Did you realize that translating a bible from Greek to English is an exercise of linguistics and not an act of prophecy? God spoke in a language and he never changes the meaning of words or the rules of grammar. He spoke to us in known language and expects us to follow the normal rules of the language in which He gave us His word.
2. Are you okay with the Watchtower making up rules that are not in the bible?
1.Blood transfusions = consuming blood (really?)
2.Discourages too much education: Does it seem like they are trying to keep you unlearned so you won’t find out something?
3.Don’t salute the flag or serve in the military (our real biblical call is to worship God and not the countries’ leaders as they did in Rome)
3. If the Watchtower Governing Body claims to be the only mediator between God and men. They would be equal to a prophet, but have they passed the test of a prophet? (see 1 Kings 17) One book by the grandson of Franz portrays the watchtower as a group of men who are biblically illiterate. Further, did you know that bible claims there is ONE mediator between God and men? It is the Lord Jesus Christ. And each person approaches God through Him alone.
4. Are you okay with the fact that the Watchtower had to use a occultist to justify their changing the text in John chapter one? An occultist was the only person in the world they could find who did not see Jesus as God in John 1. This occultist is the only one who agreed that they should add (all other things) to John 1 giving the idea that Jesus was not the God of Genesis 1 who created “EVERYTHING.”
Johannes Greber, a Roman Catholic priest became interested in communication with spirit beings. These “spirits” often spoke through his wife, a spirit medium, and told him the Bible was full of errors.
Greber authored the book: “Communication With The Spirit World of God.” In this book, Greber claims the spirits helped him in his translation of the New Testament. Greber saw translations coming not by scholarship but by the words passing before his eyes. This is the way an occultists writes as he or she communicates with demons.
Greber claims that “Jesus was not God but one of the first of God’s sons.”
In 1956 the Watchtower admitted Greber was a spiritist. But in 1962 they began quoting Greber as a theological source. Why would they quote Greber (a known occultist) in their literature? Because they could find no one else that would render John 1:1-3 the way their own translation did.
Word for Word Greek to English Translation
1 Inen the beginningarchē waseimi theho Wordlogos, andkai theho Wordlogos waseimi withpros ·ho Godtheos, andkai theho Wordlogos waseimi Godtheos. 2 Hehoutos waseimi inen the beginningarchē withpros ·ho Godtheos. 3 Allpas things were createdginomai bydia himautos, andkai apartchōris from himautos notoude a single thingheis was createdginomai thathos has been createdginomai.
Dr Mounce is one of the top Greek scholars in the world. If he and every other Greek scholar translated the bible passages as the JWs do I would be a JW. But I trust the Greek scholarship of those who have actually studied the language. Again, why is the ONLY person is the world that agrees with the John 1 rendering (Jesus created “all other” thing) a known occultist?
5. Why do you deny the Trinity and the Deity of Jesus when they are both clearly taught in scripture?
(Jesus called Himself “I AM” which is the tetragrammaton of Yahweh)
(Act 5 says to those who withheld money, you have lied to the Holy Spirit, you have lied to God and not man. Luke is calling the Holy Spirit God. This is further proof for a trinitarian God)
(At the baptism of Jesus you see the Father, Spirit and Son appear in the same moment and in the same text)
6. The bible calls for the ministry of benevolence among God’s people. Yet the ministry of benevolence does not exist in the JWs. Why is this important biblical practice ignored?
Matthew 5:42 42 Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.
Matthew 25:35-45 35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; …
Luke 3:11 11 And he would answer and say to them, “The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none; and he who has food is to do likewise.”
7. Why would the JWs require 2 witnesses to child molestation. Are you okay with a denomination that make child molestation predictable? Romans 13 tells us that God uses governments to protect us. Why hide child molestation information from the government? There are NEVER 2 witness. Perverts molest children only when they are alone and when there are NO witnesses to the crime. This is what happens when you make up rules that are not in the bible. People get hurt!
8. Why do your leaders discourage you from hearing other perspectives or having friends of other faiths? If your doctrine was solid it could stand any test or examination including input from outside sources. It is because they do not want you to find out about their total lack of scholarship background and the truth that they used Greber an occultist to confirm their mistranslation of John 1. If you know too much you may find the truth.
3 Passages for Witnesses
Vs 28 In answer Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” vs29 Jesus said to him: Because you have seen me have you believed? Happy are those who do not see and yet believe.
Vs 6 For there has been a child born to us, (Jesus) there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace (Name for the eternal God are given to Jesus, the “child born to us”). 7 To the abundance of the princely rule and to peace there will be no end, upon the throne of David and upon his kingdom in order to establish it firmly and to sustain it by means of justice and by means of righteousness, from now on and to time indefinite. The very zeal of Jehovah of armies will do this.
Revelation 1:8 I am the Alpha and the Omega, says Jehovah God, “the One who is and who was and who is coming, the Almighty.”
Question: Who is speaking here? Who is Alpha and Omega?
Revelation 21:5-7 And the One seated on the throne said: “Look! I am making all things new.” Also he says: “Write, for these words are faithful and true.” 6 And he said to me: “They have come to pass! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To anyone thirsting I will give from the spring of the water of life free. 7 Anyone conquering will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be my son.
Question: Do we still see that Alpha and Omega is Jehovah God?
Revelation 22:13 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.
Question: Do we still see that Alpha and Omega is Jehovah God?
Revelation 1:17 When I saw him, I fell as dead at his feet. And he laid his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last,
Question: Who is the “First and The Last?”
Hint: They will answer; “Jehovah God”
….Let’s continue reading…
Revelation 1:17-18 I am the First and the Last, 18 and the living one, and I became dead, but look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of the Grave.
Question: When did Jehovah God die? If this is not Jesus, who could it possibly be?
Question: Can you go back to your Kingdom Hall and ask your overseer when Jehovah God died? If this is not Jesus who is this? When you get an answer can you bring it back to me?